Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Favorite Children's Books 1

Recently, I've thought about children's books that I had vague memories of. I couldn't remember the titles, authors, or illustrators. The only thing I could remember were certain illustrations that stuck with me these 30 plus years (give or take). These illustrations had made an impression on me as a kid and probably were a gateway into my interests in artwork and other things.

I challenged myself to try to hunt these books down and identify them. Remember, I was only going on vague memories of illustrations. That's it. No names or titles. My first step was to go to the public library I frequented as a kid. I went through their entire Easy-Reader and Juvenile sections. I didn't find any of the books but I did come across one book that featured illustrations of a similar style to one of the books I was searching for. I took down the illustrators name and did a search online and came up with the following book.
One Monster After Another by Mercer Mayer
As a kid I was interested in anything that involved monsters. That's still true today. Below are some of the images that have stayed in my mind all of these years.
Check out these pages that feature a Lovecraftian horror.This image is from the stuff of nightmares. I love it!

1 comment:

wren said...

My sister and I were just talking about this book, and how much we loved it when we grew up - we had a copy in our house. We did the same thing, we went on a rampage to find it. We each now own a copy. My favorite illustration is of the little girl going out to her mail box.